| Princess of Denmark|
Countess of Monpezat
|Isabella Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe|
|Born|| 21 April 2007 (age 13) |
Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen, Denmark
|Father||Frederik, Crown Prince of Denmark|
Princess Isabella of Denmark, Countess of Monpezat (Isabella Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe; born 21 April 2007), is a member of the Danish Royal Family. She is the daughter of Crown Prince Frederik and his wife, the Australian-born Crown Princess Mary.
She is the fourth grandchild and oldest granddaughter of Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and her husband, Henrik, Prince Consort of Denmark. She is the first girl born into the Danish royal family since the birth of her grand-aunt, Queen Anne-Marie of Greece, in 1946.
The Princess was born at Rigshospitalet, the Copenhagen University Hospital, in Copenhagen, at 4:02 pm. She was healthy with an apgar score of 10 (out of 10) after 1 minute. At birth, she weighed 3.35 kg (7.4 lb) and measured 50 cm (19.6 ins). At noon on 22 April, a 21-gun salute was fired from the Sixtus Battery at Holmen Naval Base in Copenhagen and from Kronborg Castle in North Zealand to mark the arrival of a royal child.
The infant Princess' birth coincided with the 60th anniversary of the ascension to the Danish throne of her great-grandfather, Frederick IX.
- Main article: Christening of Princess Isabella of Denmark
Isabella's christening took place on 1 July 2007, at the chapel of Fredensborg Palace. She wore the same christening gown her older brother, Prince Christian, had worn at his christening the year before and that Glücksborg princes and princesses in the main line had worn since the christening of Christian X in 1870. Her name was announced as Isabella Henrietta Ingrid Margrethe. Her godparents are The Duchess of Brabant, Princess Alexia of Greece and Denmark, Nadine Johnston, Christian Buchwald, Peter Heering and Marie Louise Skeel.
She was named:
- Isabella is the Italian form of the Latinate name Elisheva, which has a biblical etymology and many variants in different languages. The Crown Princess's middle name is Elizabeth after her maternal grandmother; however, there is no indication that this was a factor in the choice of names. Frederik and Mary told the media on the day of the christening they had decided on it two weeks beforehand, after looking at historical royal Danish names. They chose the birth name of King Christian II's queen-consort Isabella of Austria, the sister of Emperor Charles V. The name ranks 16th in popularity for Danish girls born in 2007.
- Henrietta is for the Crown Princess's late mother, Henrietta Donaldson, who died in 1997 from complications following heart surgery.
- Ingrid is for the Crown Prince's late maternal grandmother, Ingrid of Sweden, who died in November 2000.
- Margrethe is for Princess Isabella's paternal grandmother, the Queen of Denmark.
On 5 November 2008, it was reported that Princess Isabella had begun visiting Queen Louise's Children's House, the same day nursery her older brother Prince Christian attends to become accustomed to it. The nursery school is located 35 km north of Copenhagen in Fredensborg where the Crown Prince family lives. It was her mother who took Isabella for her first visit to the Nursery School.
On 4 January 2011, shortly before her mother gave birth to Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine, Princess Isabella started at Garrison Parish Ward Kindergarten, which is a five minute walk from the palace and therefore slightly more convenient to travel to and from than Queen Louise's Children's House.
On 6 January 2020, Princess Josephine along with her siblings began their 12-week study program at Lemania-Verbier International School in Banges, Switzerland. The study abroad opportunity was announced in late 2019 by the Danish Royal Court, who said that Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary wanted to give their children “a common experience in an international environment.”
Titles, styles, honors, and armsEdit
- 21 April 2007 – 29 April 2008: Her Royal Highness Princess Isabella of Denmark
- 29 April 2008 – present: Her Royal Highness Princess Isabella of Denmark, Countess of Monpezat
Her official title in Danish is Hendes Kongelige Højhed Prinsesse Isabella til Danmark, Komtesse af Monpezat