| Duke of Skåne
|Oscar Carl Olof|
|Born|| 2 March 2018 (age 4) |
Karolinska University hospital, Solna, Sweden
|Mother||Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden|
|Religion||Church of Sweden|
As of June 2020, Prince Oscar is third in line to succeed the Swedish throne after his mother and elder sister.
Early life Edit
Prince Oscar was born at 20:28 CET on 2 March 2016 at Karolinska University Hospital, Solna Municipality, Sweden. He weighed 3655 gram and was 52 cm long at birth. Prince Daniel was present at the hospital throughout the birth.
His parents are Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, the eldest child, daughter and heir apparent of King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia of Sweden and Prince Daniel, Duke of Västergötland, the only son and second child of Mr Olle Westling and Mrs Ewa Westling. He has a sister, Princess Estelle, Duchess of Östergötland, who was born four years earlier in February 2012 at the same hospital.
The birth was greeted by two 21-gun salutes on the island of Skeppsholmen, opposite Stockholm Palace. A Te Deum thanksgiving service was held in the palace's Royal Chapel on 3 March 2016 to celebrate his birth.
- Oscar: the name of his maternal ancestors, Oscar I, Oscar II.
- Carl: the namesake of his maternal grandfather, Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden.
- Olof: the namesake of his father, Prince Daniel, Duke of Västergötland, whose first name is Olof but goes by his second name Daniel.
Skåne is the southernmost titular duchy in Sweden and is known historically in English as Scania. There have been two previous Dukes of Scania in the House of Bernadotte, both became kings: Charles XV and Gustaf VI Adolf (Prince Oscar's great-great-grandfather).
- Main article: Christening of Prince Oscar, Duke of Skåne
Prince Oscar was christened when he was two months on 27 May 2016 in the Royal Chapel at Stockholm Palace.
His godparents are Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland (his maternal aunt), Frederik, Crown Prince of Denmark (his maternal third cousin), Oscar Magnuson (his mother's first cousin), Hans Astrom (his father's first cousin) and Mette-Marit, Crown Princess of Norway
He was christened in the family's antique christening gown which was first worn by Prince Gustaf Adolf when he was christened in 1906. His name and date of christening were added in embroidery to the gown.
Titles, styles and honours Edit
Titles and styles Edit
Oscar is styled as: His Royal Highness Prince Oscar of Sweden, Duke of Skåne.
- Sweden: Knight of the Royal Order of the Seraphim (RoK av KMO)
- Sweden: Knight of the Order of Charles XIII (RCXIII)
- ↑ Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel have had a son. The Royal Court. 2 March 2016.
- ↑ Nya prinsens namn är Oscar Carl Olof. Expressen
- ↑ Te Deum thanksgiving service. The Royal Court. 3 March 2016
- ↑ H.K.H. Prins Oscar Carl Olof, hertig av Skåne. Royal Court of Sweden
- ↑ The christening. The Royal Court
- ↑ Christening gown. The Royal Court