|Prince Carl Philip|
| Prince of Sweden |
The Duke of Varmland
|Carl Philip Edmund Bertil|
|Born|| 13 May 1979 (age 41) |
Royal Palace of Sweden
|Spouse||Sofia Hellqvist (m. 2015)|
| Prince Alexander, Duke of Södermanland |
Prince Gabriel, Duke of Dalarna
|Father||Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden|
|Religion||Church of Sweden|
Prince Carl Philip, Duke of Varmland (Carl Philip Edmund Bertil; born 13 May 1979) is the only son and second child of Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden and Queen Silvia of Sweden. In 2015 he married Sofia Hellqvist and they have two sons, Prince Alexander and Prince Gabriel.
As of June 2020, Prince Carl Philip is fifth in line to succeed the Swedish throne.
Birth and family Edit
Prince Carl Philip was born on 13 May 1979 at the Royal Palace of Stockholm, Sweden. He is the the only son and second child of King Carl XVI Gustaf and German-born Queen Silvia (née Sommerlath). He is of Swedish, German, Danish and Portuguese Brazilian (through his maternal grandmother) ancestry. One of his distant ancestors was chief Tibiriçá, a famous Amerindian chief from São Paulo. He is a member of the House of Bernadotte. Through his father, a third cousin of Queen Elizabeth II, Carl Philip is also in the line of succession to the British and other Commonwealth thrones.
Carl Philip was heir apparent to the throne of Sweden for seven months, until 1 January 1980 when a law came into effect which made natural birth order the basis for succession to the throne, replacing the principle of agnatic primogeniture. He was thereby deprived of his position as first in line to the throne, which was then bestowed upon his elder sister Victoria, with Carl Philip becoming second in line instead.
Prince Carl Philip has and two sisters:
- Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden (born 1977)
- Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland (born 1982)
Prince Carl Philip was christened at the Royal Chapel at Stockholm Palace on 13 August 1980. He was given the names Carl Philip Edmund Bertil. He was named after his grandfather, Prince Gustaf Adolf, Duke of Västerbotten, who was known by Edmund, and his great-uncle, Prince Bertil, Duke of Halland.
His godparents are: Princess Birgitta of Sweden (paternal aunt) Prince Bertil, Duke of Halland (paternal great-uncle), Queen Margrethe II of Denmark (paternal grandfather's niece through his sister Ingrid of Sweden) and Prince Leopold of Bavaria (his father’s friend).
Prince Carl Philip attended Västerled Parish Preschool in Stockholm, Sweden from 1984-86. He then attended Smedslättsskolan, a municipal elementary school in the district Smedslätten in Bromma, Stockholm, where he completed his junior level. Next, Carl Philip attended Ålstenskolan, a municipal elementary school in the district Ålsten in Bromma, Stockholm, completed her intermediate level.
The prince then attended Enskilda Gymnasiet, a prestigious independent secondary school in Tegnérlunden, in central Stockholm. In 1994, Carl Philip moved to the United States for two years to attend Kent School in Kent, Connecticut, USA. Upon returning to Sweden, he followed a science program at Lundbergs Upper Secondary School in Värmland, Sweden, graduating in 1999.
In 2011, Prince Carl Philip finished his studies in Agricultural and Rural Management at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences in Alnarp.
Graphic designer Edit
In May 2006, Prince Carl Philip completed a two-year full-time course in Graphic Design at Forsbergs School of Graphic Design in Stockholm. Forsbergs organised a four-day final exhibition 18-21 May 2006 at the manège at the Royal Mews. For his final project, the Prince chose to do a study of the social work of St. Clara's Parish Church in Stockholm. Prince Carl Philip documented their work over a period of three weeks and photographed people in Stockholm city, who came in for help and who received support from the employees and volunteers of St. Clara's Church.
He continued his studies with an internship at the National Geographic Society in Washington D.C., USA, during the autumn of 2006. Carl Philip then studied at the Rhode Island School of Design in Providence, Rhode Island, USA where he participated in a competition to create the best logo for Martha’s Vineyard Museum in Massachusetts.
As a member of the House of Bernadotte, Prince Carl Philip undertakes royal duties on behalf of his father, King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden. He acts as regent or representative when his father and his elder sister are absent or out of the country as he would be the next blood adult as Crown Princess Victoria's young children are still young and not old enough to act as regent or representatives.
The Prince also undertakes royal duties on behalf of his father and people of Sweden. His duties include the celebrations of Sweden's National Day, The King and The Crown Princess's birthdays, the Nobel festivities, dinners and state visits with other members of the royal family.
Prince Carl Philip has been a scout and is fond of outdoor life. He is keen of Sports and Athletics like Football, Golf, Skiing, Sailing, Running and Swimming. In 2003 he, his father and elder brother had participated in the historic Swedish "Vasaloppet" the longest cross country ski race in the world, Prince Carl Philip also enjoys Skiing and snowboarding and racing, which he inherited from his great-uncle Prince Bertil, Duke of Halland which he, his brother and his nephew's both enjoy.
Carl Philip also enjoys car racing a passion he, his brother and nephews inherited from his great-uncle and godfather, Prince Bertil, and has a licence to compete. Prince Carl Philip has taken part in the racing series Porsche Carrera Cup Scandinavia in a Porsche 911 GT3. Since 2013 he has raced in the Scandinavian Touring Car Championship. In 2015 at Falkenberg he got his first win.
With a great interest for design and drawing, the prince began studying and sometimes he still enjoys. In December 2003, for Queen Silvia's 60th birthday, he and his brother designed the cover for a CD of the music of Tchaikovsky's ballet The Nutcracker, which was released to honour Her Majesty's Landmark birthday (the proceeds from it goes to the world Childhood Foundation, an organisation that was founded by Queen Silvia, his sister-in-law and younger sister are also in the organisation).
Military service Edit
The prince completed his military service at the Amphibious Battalion at Vaxholm Coastal Artillery Regiment as a combat boat commander (Combat Boat 90) in the autumn of 2000. In December 2002, the Prince was promoted to fänrik (midshipman), and in 2004 to the rank of löjtnant (sub-lieutenant) in the Swedish Navy. In 2007 and 2008 he went to the Swedish National Defense College. The course was divided in three weeks autumn 2007 and three weeks spring 2008. After that course he was appointed kapten in the Swedish Navy (lieutenant). On 1 October 2014, Prince Carl Philip achieved the rank of major.
Personal life Edit
Prince Carl Philip dated Emma Pernald from 1999. Permald worked at a PR firm for several years. However, the prince and Pernald broke off their relationship in March 2009. She revealed in the Swedish newspaper Expressen that she and the prince mutually decided to go their separate ways. Pernald made no further comment as to the reason for the break-up.
In April 2010, Carl Philip was linked in the press with former semi-nude glamour model Sofia Hellqvist. In August 2010, Royal Court spokesperson, Nina Eldh, confirmed the relationship between Prince Carl Philip and Hellqvist in a statement released by the palace.
On 27 June 2014, it was announced that Carl Philip was engaged to Sofia Hellqvist. "Sofia has today said yes to the question to spend the rest of her life together with me. Today is a very happy day for Sofia and I," said Prince Carl Philip.
They married on 13 June 2015 in the Stockholm's Royal Palace chapel, where thousands of people lined the street for the occasion. In an interview he criticized the press for suggesting that Sofia Hellqvist was not welcome in the royal family. He told the press that the opposite was true and that his family easily accepted her into the family. He compared the "bullying" of her past to that of himself being bullied for having dyslexia.
On 15 October 2015, it was announced that Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia are expecting their first child, due in April 2016. On 19 April 2016, Princess Sofia gave birth to a son, Prince Alexander Erik Hubertus Bertil, Duke of Södermanland, at Danderyd hospital. On 9 September 2016, Prince Alexander was christened at the Royal Chapel of Stockholm Palace.
On 23 March 2017, It was announced that Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia are expecting their second child in September 2017. On 31 August 2017, Princess Sofia gave birth to her second son; Prince Gabriel Carl Walther, Duke of Dalarna, at Danderyd hospital. On 1 December 2017, Prince Gabriel was christened in the Royal Chapel at Stockholm Palace.
Titles, Styles and Honours Edit
Titles and Styles Edit
- 13 May 1979 – 31 December 1979: His Royal Highness The Crown Prince of Sweden, Duke of Värmland
- 1 January 1980 – present: His Royal Highness Prince Carl Philip of Sweden, Duke of Värmland
Prince Carl Philip's full style and title in Full: His Royal Highness Prince Carl Philip Edmund Bertil of Sweden, Duke of Värmland
In Swedish: Hans kungliga höghet Prins Carl Philip Edmund Bertil av Sverige, hertig av Värmland
- Sweden: Knight Grand Cross with Collar of the Royal Order of the Seraphim
- Sweden: Knight Grand Commander of the Royal Order of the Polar Star
- Sweden: Knight Grand Officer of the Royal Order of Charles XIII
- Sweden: Recipient of the Uppland Medal of Merit
- Sweden: Recipient of the Armed Forces Service Medal
- Sweden: Recipient of the Defence College Medal, Bronze
- Sweden: Recipient of the Swedish Military Peace Medal
- Sweden: Recipient of the 50th Birthday Badge Medal of King Carl XVI Gustaf
- Sweden: Recipient of the Wedding Medal of Crown Princess Victoria to Daniel Westling
- Sweden: Recipient of the Ruby Jubilee Medal of King Carl XVI Gustaf
- Sweden: Recipient of the 70th Birthday Medal of King Carl XVI Gustaf
Foreign honours Edit
- Bulgaria: 1st Class of the Order of Stara Planina
- Brazil: Grand Cross of the Order of Rio Branco
- Chile: Grand Cross of the Order of Merit
- Estonia: Grand Cross of the Order of the Cross of Terra Mariana
- Finland: Grand Cross of the Order of the White Rose
- Germany: Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany, 1st Class
- Greece: Grand Cross of the Order of Honour
- Iceland: Grand Cross of the Order of the Falcon
- Italy: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic
- Jordan: Knight Grand Cordon of the Order of the Star of Jordan
- Latvia: Grand Officer of the Order of the Three Stars
- Luxembourg: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Adolphe of Nassau
- Malaysia: Honorary Knight Grand Cordon of the Order of Loyalty to the Crown of Malaysia
- Norway: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of St. Olav
- Romania: Grand Cross of the Order of Faithful Service
- Tunisia: Grand Officer of the Order of Merit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Biografi. Royal Court of Sweden
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Prince Carl Philip of Sweden. Unofficial Royalty
- ↑ Prince Carl Philip on his university diploma in Agricultural and Rural Management. Royal Court of Sweden
- ↑ Historical Museum Gets a New Identity. RISD
- ↑ The Prince Won Prestigious Design Competition in the U.S. Royal Court of Sweden
- ↑ Prins Carl Philip utnämnd till löjtnant den 14 december. Royal Court of Sweden
- ↑ Prins Carl Philip utnämns till major. Royal Court of Sweden
- ↑ The 20 Hottest Young Royals – 9. Prince Carl Philip. Forbes
- ↑ Reality starlet to wed prince in Swedish fairytale. Yahoo News
- ↑ Sweden royal wedding: Prince Carl Philip to marry ex-reality star. BBC News
- ↑ Swedish prince has relationship with glamour model. The Daily Telegraph
- ↑ Engagement between Prince Carl Philip and Miss Sofia Hellqvist. The Royal Court
- ↑ Swedish prince angry over press 'bullying'. The Local
- ↑ The Prince Couple are expecting a child. Royal Court of Sweden
- ↑ HRH Prince Alexander Erik Hubertus Bertil, Duke of Södermanland. Royal Court of Sweden
- ↑ Announcement from the Marshal of the Realm. Royal Court of Sweden
- ↑ Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia are expecting a child. Royal Court of Sweden
- ↑ HRH Prince Gabriel Carl Walther, Duke of Dalarna. Royal Court of Sweden
- ↑ Announcement from the Marshal of the Realm. Royal Court of Sweden
- ↑ Carl wearing the collar Gettyimages
- ↑ Prince Carl Philip Getty Images
- ↑ Carl Philip får Upplandsmedaljen. Till startsiden
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 23.2 23.3 23.4 23.5 WikiCommons, Wearing all the national medals as miniatures
- ↑ Where is your tiara Mary? Princess dons a modern gold headpiece for a formal banquet...but was one of the only royals bucking tradition. Daily Mail
- ↑ Página 7 da Seção 1 do Diário Oficial da União (DOU) de 6 de Setembro de 2007
- ↑ Estonian State Decorations, Carl Philip
- ↑ Photo of Daniel and Carl-Philipp wearing the order
- ↑ State visit of President Johannes Rau in Sweden in 2003 : Carl Philip's photo
- ↑ Gala dinner during the state visit of Greek President Karolos Papoulias (21 May 2008)
- ↑ Princess Sofia of Sweden receives first foreign order during Icelandic state visit. Royal Central
- ↑ Pranzo di Stato al Palazzo Reale. Photo image
- ↑ Photo of Prince Carl Philip with Princess Madeleine, both wearing the order
- ↑ Gala dinner, Carl Philip's photo
- ↑ State visit of Grand-Dukes of Luxembourg in Sweden, gala dinner 15/04/2008
- ↑ State visit from Norway, Royal Palace, Stockholm - 03-CH05090151 - Princess Madeleine of Sweden.
- ↑ Statsbesök från Tunisien – dag 1 - Sveriges Kungahus.